Germany's gross domestic product (GDP) currently runs at around 2.88 trillion euros. Corrosion damage alone accounts for three to four per cent of that amount: that's 8.6 billion euros, in Germany alone, every single year! This staggering sum highlights the importance of intelligent corrosion protection backed up by related innovation.
That is why, back in 1996, the directors of EXCOR Korrosionsschutz-Technologien und -Produkte GmbH decided to found their own research institute, in the shape of EXCOR Korrosionsforschung GmbH, with its headquarters in Dresden. The institute was built up by Professor Dr. Georg Reinhard and is now headed by Dr. Frank Faßbender. It has long been regarded as a pioneer in the field of intelligent corrosion protection. The many patented EXCOR VCI solutions developed by the company attest to that success. The institute's work focuses on the systematic researching and development of ever more effective corrosion protection systems and the application of damage prevention systems and techniques. These are backed up by damage analysis and a highly developed quality control system, involving such things as comparative climatic chamber tests. All these activities require comprehensive knowledge and experience in the field of materials science and chemistry in the widest sense, and specialising in chemical trace analysis.
Naturally EXCOR Korrosionsforschung GmbH also adopts a customer-oriented approach and offers wide-ranging services and advice. The modern research facilities are principally used by companies active in the metalworking industry, especially the automobile and automotive supply industry, focusing on devising customer-specific corrosion protection systems.
EXCOR Korrosionsforschung services:
Our goal? Corrosion protection progress!
EXCOR Korrosionsforschung GmbH's goal is the greatest-possible degree of corrosion protection. In this connection we make sure that we deliver controlled quality, throughout all our internal and external production and shipment stages. To this end we can call on a highly motivated team, sophisticated analysis technology, including capacious climatic chambers, and a transparent, clearly documented production and clearance process.
Here is an overview of the services provided by EXCOR Korrosionsforschung:
Research and development:
- The development of new corrosion protection systems and refinement of existing ones.
- Chemical analysis of aqueous & aqueous/organic media
Assessment of corrosion protection properties re DIN 51360, Part 2
- Judging the efficacy and acceptability of technical cleaners and preservatives
- Chemical analyse with the aid of IR, GCMC and HPLC, etc.
- Proof of VCI effect on sample packaging in line with testing regime developed in-house
- Production of master batch as VCI substrate
Quality control forms an integral part of all internal and external production stages:
- Clear & transparent documentation of the production process
- QM system & laboratory methods (TÜV Süd-certified)
- Exclusive use of suitable predefined ingredients
- Testing of various parameters of the VCI material, in line with customer requirements:
- VCI concentration (all products, standard clearance procedure)
- Protective effect against corrosion (all products, climate test)
- VCI clearance (all products)
- Film thickness (films)
- Dart drop (films)
- Tensile and tearing strength, elongation at tear (films)
- Dynamic friction (films)
- Haze/light dispersal (films)
- Surface resistance (dissipative films, ESD)
- Water vapour permeability (films)
- Fire behaviour (films)
Standards and certificates
The EXCOR quality assurance system has been certified by German testing institute TÜV Süd and is regularly monitored.
- TÜV Süd has certified the EXCOR QM system (Certificate according to ISO 9001:2015)
- TÜV Süd has certified the quality testing methods for EXCOR VCI products (Certificate No. 14 02 90267 001):
- Determining the VCI concentrations of EXCOR products through chemical analysis
- Specification of certain thresholds (undershooting/overshooting) which could lead to the blocking or clearance of EXCOR VCI products.
- Measurement of VCI clearance rates.
Proof of corrosion protection properties of EXCOR VCI products:
- TL 8135-0002 and TL 8135-0043: testing the VCI effect
- DIN 51360 Part 2: Filter-shavings test for KSS, cleaner
- DIN EN 60068-2-30: changing climate test on model packaging at distance and in contact
- DIN EN 60068-2-30: changing climate test on industry packaging (2 climatic chambers up to 17.5 m³)
EXCOR VALENO S film: Proof of its special properties via standardised tests:
- DIN 53 370 – Thickness
- ASTM D 1709/A – Dart drop (shock test)
- DIN EN ISO 527–3/2 - Tensile strength test
- DIN EN ISO 8295 – Dynamic friction
- ASTM D 1746 (2003) // ASTM D 1003 (2000) // ISO 13 468 (1997) – Haze; light dispersion and transparency
- DIN IEC 93 – Surface resistance (dissipative films, ESD)
- DIN 53122-1 Water vapour permeability
- DIN 4102-B2 – Fire behaviour
Identification of cause(s) of corrosion damage during transport and storage:
- Soiling analysis of industrially produced surfaces
- Investigation of process media
- Confirmation of causes of corrosion via the reproduction of damage scenarios
- Chemical analysis, for instance using chromatographic methods IC, GCMS, HPLC
- Physical research, e.g., FTIR
- Electrochemical research (electrochemical impedance spectroscopy – EIS)
Additional advisory services
Practical customer support with VCI implementation:
- Works/production line visit including process media research to evaluate the corrosion protective systems currently used by customer
- Analysis and optimisation of customer's processes with a view to avoiding corrosion during shipment and storage
- Compatibility testing: effectiveness and acceptability of technical cleaners and preservatives